THIS WEEK IN REFLECTION
I’m not sure what my brain is doing today, but this Sunday Lowdown is already late! Here are some things I did this past week:
- Visited my ASL classmate/friend Abby to talk about our struggles with keeping up on the language over a long summer break. I’ve been watching videos from LifePrint to keep up, but that only started after I began digging out of my health/mental struggles a week or so ago. Abby and I agreed that we would send each other a Marco Polo each day about what we did that day just to get into the practice of telling a story and using vocab, and to correct each other when we don’t know or messed up a sign.
- I filed some papers to help in the office of the hospice place and got scheduled to see a new patient. Last week I went to see that patient and am now able to start my own schedule.
- Every night, Nick helps me water the flowers (front of house) because there is one spigot (back of house) and I got a 100 foot hose that starts at about 33 feet and the snakes out of control when I turn the water on. He helps me drag the hose around and over the down spouts.
- I haven’t seen my toad in a while, and that’s weighing on my heart a little. However, I did dream about the toad. I found him and saw he was sitting on something, so I lifted the thing up and all these toads started hopping toward my face. I remember being afraid because it was a lot but also thankful (dream me shouted, “you made a family!”).
- I almost choked on my Cheerios because I was watching the news and a turkey went tearing down my driveway. Just seeing some pre-historic feather-beast run past the window right next to me made me “ACK!” rather loudly.
- I volunteered at the Friends of the Library books sale and was happy to see a return customer and her niece, whom I helped last week figure out Libby and Hoopla. Apparently, they have listened to a ton of books since last Friday. Success!
- Headed to pick up the 4th chair to my new dining set. As the lady and her husband were unloading it at my house last week, she noticed one of the chairs was a bit wobbly and insisted on taking it home to fix (which Nick pointed out sounded just like the Grinch and to which I said, “stop that!”). This week, after I left her house with my chair in tow, filling my entire backseat, I stopped at a garage sale and found an oak stand ($1!) that will work perfectly in my office as a place to charge my two laptops, set textbooks, and stow away supplies. A husband and wife staffed the garage sale, and he put the oak stand in my Prius, which has a hatchback and is tiny. It was hanging out the back end, but I said, “I’m gonna get this home because I’m determined and also, last time I bought a big thing Mr. [chair lady’s husband] brought it to my house for me!” Okay, so apparently this struck him as cute. But I just tell the truth! I got it home and couldn’t lift it, so I waited for Nick to help. Dudes are helpful.
- After attending a challenging doctor’s appointment, I signed up for a Buddhist meditation class that meets in my city and now I’m scared! What if the Buddhists hate me, or I wear flip flops when I shouldn’t?? Do I have to wear pants?
THIS WEEK’S BLOG POST
Thanks so much for all your comments on my post about Growing Up Deaf by Rose Pizzo. While her life in itself wasn’t what we call “exciting,” she delivers valuable history about what it was like growing up Deaf before the internet, smart phones, and video calls. And I’m glad I focused on the process of interpretation and translation, because I don’t want you all to feel like I’m repeating myself in my book reviews!
NEXT WEEK’S BLOG POST
I showed you guys a list of books I would like to get to this summer, and several titles were repeatedly picked as interesting. One of those was Fat Girls Hiking by Summer Michaud-Skog. So, I read it! The review will be up on Wednesday. In my post I linked to the author’s website so you can check out the great photos of the hikers and trails.
BOOKS ADDED TO THE TBR PILE
Owned Books on TBR at Beginning of Year: 202
Owned Books on TBR Last Week: 179
Owned Books on TBR Today: 181 (I got a coupon for attending an event at the library that let me get two withdrawn books free!)